This window is one of three designed by the painter and stained glass designer and manufacturer John LaFarge for the second home of the railroad baron James J. Hill at Ninth and Canada streets in St. Paul between 1879-82. These windows were installed in the dining room of the house until it was razed in 1892. About ten years later, two of the windows were installed in the dining room of James J. Hill's son Louis's house at 260 Summit Avenue in St. Paul where they remain in situ. The third window was donated to the Institute in 1988.
La Farge was a great innovator in the making of modern stained glass, introducing the use of opalescent glass. This milky and translucent glass contained opaque particles which scattered light creating areas of varying transparency and when combined with the jewel-like colors of red, blue and green glass created a dazzling effect.